Welcome to my new blog! Following many years of graduate study in musicology (see my bio if you don't know what musicology is), I am finally embarking on my fieldwork portion of my degree, spending one year in Germany. For all the latest updates on Music, Life, and Travel, read on, friends!

Saturday, November 24

Welcome to Weihnachtsmarkt Season!

In this part of Germany, along the Rhine between Cologne and Bonn, it is said that there are five seasons, or "Jahreszeiten," instead of four. Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall and Carnival!!! Attending the opening of the Weihnachtsmarkt in Bonn, however, makes me think that there may be six seasons here!

The market is beautiful. Everyone has a sense of child-like wonder for all the lanterns, lights, crafts, and treasures. The air smells of cinnamon and bratwurst! Right now the weather hasn't quite transitioned into winter, so the rain from last night and the general "warmth" outside today didn't complement the market as nicely as crisp air with snow flurries. It is still early; we still have time for freezing temperatures.

So, enjoy some of the first shots of this year's official "Eroeffnung des Weihnachtsmarkts"
Beethovenstadt Bonn - Ludwig watches over everything at the Christmas market.  Blick auf dem Muensterplatz.
Mom, look at what I found! Do you remember these treats from Rothenburg?
Despite the rain, opening day was well attended!
Drink Pyramid - in all its glory!
You can't tell from the photo, but these animals' heads move.
Candles - it kind of looks like wax is dripping from the top of the stand.

More animals!
I have already been blown away by the many different types of drinks and snacks one can enjoy at the market. The sampling has begun, and I am very excited to share my impressions and discoveries with you!

1 comment:

  1. I seem to have missed this one! Hooray for Schneeballe. M and I shared one in Salzburg. The pyramid on that drink stand is based on the traditional wooden pyramids from the Erzgebirge in Saxony. :-)

    ReplyDelete