Welcome to my new blog! Following many years of graduate study in musicology (see my bio if you don't know what musicology is), I am finally embarking on my fieldwork portion of my degree, spending one year in Germany. For all the latest updates on Music, Life, and Travel, read on, friends!

Sunday, November 25

So little time...

Today Bonn is taking a break from the Christmas market business. This is the last Sunday of the church calendar year, called "Totensonntag," or Day of the Dead, in Lutheran churches across Germany. I sang with one of my choirs during services at the Kreuzkirche this morning. We sang Brahms' "Begraebnisgesang," a beautiful piece of choir and brass ensemble. The pastor also read the names of all church members who passed away during the last year. It was quite somber, and the brisk wind we have in Bonn adds to the edginess of the day.

This Sunday is the only day until December 23rd that the Weihnachtsmarkt will be closed. One would think that one month would be long enough to take in all aspects of the market, but I would argue otherwise. I have been looking forward to Gluehwein for weeks now, but I was not expecting the assault on my senses of all the beverage options! Here are just a few photos of all the different things I need to try:

At this stand you can order Gluehwein from grapes or cherries. Apparently one can also make Gluehwein using white wine.




These four pictures are all from the same stand. You have your choice of:
- White Gluehwein
- Hot chocolate with Bailey's
- Apple-Amaretto Punch
- "Designated Driver" Punch
- a 10-punch card for Gluehwein
- Mon Chery drink, which I assume is similar to the cherry-chocolate candy?
- Dornfelder Gluehwein - I have no idea what makes this Gluehwein different from other types.
- Apple-Cinnamon Punch
- Coffee
- Latte Macchiato
- Cappuccino
- Honey Gluehwein

Verpoorten Punch, whatever that is!

Yes, there is even Gluehbier! The thought of hot, spiced beer does not really excite me the same way that Gluehwein does. Still, I saw lots of people drinking it!
Perhaps the greatest hassle of trying all these things is the Pfand, or deposit. You pay a Pfand for nearly every type of drink you buy in Germany, especially at grocery stores. Restaurants are generally the exception. However, at markets like this, there is always the chance that someone will take their glass home with them. So, for every drink you have, expect to pay between two and three euros in Pfand. Of course you can simply return the glass after it is empty and collect your deposit, but sometimes the lines get really long, or you've had a couple glasses already and the Pfand begins to seem less important...

Happy Sunday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. We celebrate Totensonntag the first Sunday of November in much the same way. I guess in traditional German churches they might be celebrating Reformation Day then (Oct 31). I went to Pentacostal churches, though, and they recognize little of the liturgical year. My church in Dresden did have an Advent wreath for the kids to light, though.

    ReplyDelete